Honors and Awards
- 1980: “Fellows’ Research Award”, Annual meeting of the American Association for the Study of Liver Disease, Chicago.
- 1980-1982: Postdoctoral Fellowship Award, American Liver Foundation.
- 1984-1989: Shaw Scholar Award.
- 1987-1992: Established Investigator of the American Heart Association.
- 1993: Romnes Faculty Fellow Award.
- 1995: David Rubinstein Memorial Lecturer, Canadian Lipoprotein Conference, Jasper, Alberta.
- 1998: Dave McClain Research Award, American Heart Association/Wisconsin Affiliate
- 2000-2002: Vilas Associate Award
- 2001: Carl J. Norden Distinguished Teaching Award (Honorable Mention) University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Veterinary Medicine
- 2006: Visiting Professor for Cardiovascular Fellows, Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Cleveland Clinic.
- 2008: The Jack Gorski Professorship in Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- 2011: Marija Domanovik Memorial Lecture, The Berrie Diabetes Center, Columbia University.
- 2012: The AMC Ruysch Lecture, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- 2015: Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 2017: The Paul Lacy Medal Lecture, Midwest Islet Club
2003: Co-chairman, Atherosclerosis Gordon Conference
2011: Organizer, Midwest Islet Conference, Madison, WI
2012: Co-Organizer, Keystone Symposium on Type 2 Diabetes, Insulin Resistance and Metabolic Dysfunction, Santa Fe, NM
2015: Co-organizer, Keystone Symposium on Diabetes and Cardiovascular Disease, Copenhagen, Denmark
2020: Co-organizer, Keystone Symposium, Diabetes: Glucose Control and Beyond, Santa Fe, NM
2022: Chair, Gordon Conference on Protein Processing, Trafficking, and Secretion, Colby-Sawyer College, NH
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Arteriosclerosis Council, American Heart Association
- American Diabetes Association
- American Heart Association/Wisconsin Affiliate (1985-90; 1994-97)
- American Heart Association (National) Lipoprotein, Lipid Metabolism & Epidemiology (1987-90)
- S. Dept. of Agriculture, Human Nutritional Requirements Grants (1991)
- State of California Tobacco-related Disease Program (1993)
- NIH Nutrition Study Section; Ad hoc (1992)
- NIH Physiological Chemistry Study Section; Ad hoc (1996)
- American Heart Association/Midwest Consortium, Chairman of Study Section (1998-1999)
- NIH site visits (1997, 1999)
- NIH RFA: “Development of Phenotypic Screens for Heart, Lung, and Blood Diseases” Chair (2000)
- American Diabetes Association Research Grant Review Panel (2002-2005)
- NIDDK Board of Scientific Counselors, review of NIDDK intramural program (2004-2009)
- NIH Genetics of Health & Disease Study Section (10/09, 10/12)
- NIDDK/JDRF Council Meeting 07/11
- Review of the Helmholz Zentrum Munchen, 2018
- American Diabetes Association Pathway Awards (2015-present)
- NIH Genetics of Health and Disease member (2016-2022)
- Ad hoc reviewer of grants from the United Kingdom, Denmark, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Israel, Norway, Sweden, and Qatar
- Journal of Clinical Investigation (2007-2010, 2012-present)
- Journal of Lipid Research, Associate Editor (1998- present)
- Journal of Biological Chemistry (2002-2007)
- Diabetes (2002-present)
- Vascular Pharmacology (2003-2008)
- NY Academy of Sciences Year in Diabetes & Obesity (2010 – present)
- Research Task Force, American Heart Association/Wisconsin Affiliate (1989-90)
- Credentials Committee, Arteriosclerosis Council, American Heart Association (1989-92)
- Program Committee, Arteriosclerosis Council, American Heart Association (1991-94)
- Executive Committee, Arteriosclerosis Council, American Heart Association (1992-95)
- Ad hoc reviewer, NIH, NSF, USDA, VA, Canadian Heart Foundation, Canadian MRC, Welcome Trust, Dutch Heart Foundation grants
- Organizer, 20th Steenbock Symposium: Molecular Biology of Atherosclerosis (1990)
- External reviewer, Alberta Heritage Foundation Lipid & Lipoprotein Research Group, University of Alberta, Edmonton (1991)
- External consultant for curriculum development, St. Mary’s University, San Antonio, TX (1994)
- Consultant and member of SAB, Xenon Genetics, Vancouver, BC Canada (1999-2003)
- External Advisory Committee, Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research Program Project on Genetics of Metabolic Syndrome (2006- present)
- Organizing Committee for 2007 & 2008 American Diabetes Association Conference
- Scientific Advisory Board, Burnham Institute for Medical Research at Lake Nona, Orlando, FL (2009-present )
- Cardiovascular and Metabolic Disease Therapeutic Area Scientific Advisory Board, Pfizer, Inc. (2010- 2012)
- External Advisory Board, University of Alabama Diabetes Center (2017-present)
- External Advisory Board, Stanford/UCSF University Diabetes Center (2017-present)